To drive young people as directed, by car or wheelchair accessible car, between their homes and school or other educational setting with or without the assistance of a Passenger Assistant.
To deliver a high quality, efficient passenger transport service; for passengers many of whom are vulnerable because of special needs and or disability, with regard for their comfort, safety and wellbeing.
To observe all transport regulations to ensure compliance with the Highway Code. To be responsible for the vehicle whilst in operation including the safety of all passengers. To work in partnership with Passenger Assistants where employed. To show empathy when transporting passengers with a range of special needs. To treat passengers as individuals, helping where necessary and gently encourage them to attend school when required.
The Ideal Candidate
- Over 21 years of age, with at least 2 years driving experience and a full driving licence including category B valid to drive in the UK.
- Proven experience of working in a customer facing role ideally within a social care or educational environment.
- Educated to NVQ 3 (or equivalent experience) relevant to the role
- Knowledge of the geography of the BCP conurbation.
- Patient, caring and empathetic with an understanding of SEND.
- Physically capable of assisting service users with limited mobility in line with moving and handling procedures
- Warm, friendly and cheerful personality. Excellent communication skills, taking care to listen and communicate effectively to passengers who may be struggle to communicate verbally.
- Ability to work well as a lone worker or part of a small team under pressure.
- The ability to respect the views of others and work as part of a team
- Positive and self-confident
For an informal discussion please contact David Harrop at David.firstname.lastname@example.org
About BCP Council
BCP Council provides services to a diverse community of 400,000 residents and employs more than 5,000 people. Our area includes over 15 miles of beautiful world-renowned coastline. We can offer career defining roles to transform and improve services. By working with us, you can help deliver a vision of a thriving, word-class, prosperous and inclusive place for generations to come.
We offer an excellent benefits package for further details see here
As a result of the creation of BCP Council in 2019, we are working on simplifying our terms and conditions of service and will be creating a single pay structure which is to be applicable for all employees. It is important to us that we offer benefits that our colleagues value as part of their total employment package and we are reviewing these to make sure we have it right. We are in the process of establishing a timescale for implementation and colleagues joining us will be included in these changes. Expected to be in place 2024.
BCP Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the community and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment. Applicants to this post will be required to complete the appropriate level of Disclosure & Barring Service Check. Please refer to the Job Description or Role Profile for more details.